Policies and Procedures
Our Policies and Procedures are available for your convenience and to help keep the cost of your healthcare to a minimum.
Insurance: Please bring your insurance card with you each time you visit our office. You should familiarize yourself with your insurance coverage benefits. If we can be of service to you regarding our acceptance of your health plan, please call our billing office at 781-413-2525 Monday-Friday from 8am to 4pm.
SCD accepts most major insurances and have included a small sample list:
HMO: (referrals required) Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Tufts, Harvard Pilgrim
PPO: (no referral required) Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Tufts, Harvard Pilgrim
Commercial Plans: We accept most commercial plans.
Referrals: It is your responsibility to be well informed in the health plan coverage you have selected as it is impossible for SCD to be familiar with each plan. All HMO plans require a referral from you Primary Physician (PCP) in order for your health plan to pay for services rendered. It is your responsibility to contact your PCP for authorization and verify a referral is in place before you visit with our dermatologist or you may be at risk to pay for services rendered if your insurance chooses to deny coverage for lack of a referral from your PCP. Not all services provided at SCD maybe covered by your plan, it is your responsibility to understand what services are covered. You maybe required to sign a referral waiver so that we may bill you directly if services are denied by your insurance.
Self-Pay Patients: Please arrive prepared to make payment at time of service.
Expected payments include:
- co-payments and deductibles from your health plan.
- Out of pocket non-covered services You maybe required to sign a non-covered waiver so that we may bill you directly
- Prior balances
For your convenience we accept: cash, check, and debit, Visa or MasterCard
- Patient statements are sent out monthly. Information on payment plans is available upon request.
- You must, if no prior payment plan agreed upon, pay all balances with 30 days of receiving a statement from SCD
- If you have not paid your balance by 90 days after receiving first statement your account maybe turned over for collection to an agency.
Missed Appointments: Due to the high demand for appointments, SCD has regretfully had to implement a “No-Show” fee for missed appointments. To avoid this fee please call the office 24 hours prior to your appointment to cancel, thus allowing us time to give your appointment to another patient.
Minors: Any patient under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian over the age of 18 as services may not be permitted to a minor without proper authorization and necessary signature for treatment.
Prescriptions: Our Prescription Phone Line is 781-335-9700, option #3
When requesting a new prescription, refill or questions regarding prior authorizations please allow 48-72 hours for processing.
Please leave the following information on our prescription voicemail line:
- Patients name (please spell) and date of birth
- The name of prescribing physician
- Name of medication, including strength, directions and quantity
- Name of pharmacy and phone number or specify if you will be picking up the prescription from our office.
- If you have a mail-away pharmacy, any missing information will result in a delay of processing request.
Please note: if you have not been seen in our office within a year, your request for refills maybe denied until you schedule a visit.
Prior Authorization for Prescriptions:If your prescription plan requires a Prior Authorization from your insurance company please follow these steps as we are unable to process for you:
- call your insurance company listed on your insurance card
- have them fax us a prior authorization form to our office with your name, date of birth and name of medication on the form. to 781-335-9709.
- please call your pharmacy after a few days to find out if your medication has been approved.
Please note: This is the only way our office processes Prior Authorization requests. Under no circumstances do we call insurance companies to obtain authorizations. This process may take up to 5 business days for approval and any missed information will result in a delay of processing.